Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Mom's (Theoretical) Quirks

I have no quirks. I am not quirky. But if I had any, they might be these:

1. Heater hugging. I have been a "heater hugger" since I was little. I happen to know that at least some of my children have learned this from me because there is competition for the best heater space in our house (the girls' bathroom) on winter days. (Heater hugging is sitting next to or over a heater register to get the maximum heat effect.) I especially like to do this when I read a good book. And I hate to get displaced when the girls actually need to use the bathroom to get ready in the morning!

2. Snow/frost removal. When I shovel snow or scrape the windows of my car, I want every bit of snow and frost gone, from one edge to the other on ever surface. I love it when Mark does the shoveling for me with the snow blower, but it always leaves some along the edge of the driveway and the sidewalk, so I have to go back and shovel that myself. And I just hate seeing people drive their cars when they haven't cleared all their windows--especially those people who try to just use their defrosters and wipers and end up looking out a tiny little spot and endanger the rest of us on the roads!

3. Long stride. I take abnormally long steps for someone my height. It is my theory that this came about from having three much older and taller brothers along with a tall mother when I was growing up. I think I must have just realized I could take fewer steps if I made them longer. Don't have any other explanation for it. But my stride length is about the same as Mark's and the same as my other 6-foot tall friend. (I'm 5'6".)

4. Stairs. Probably related to number three, but I take stairs two at a time (mostly going up)whenever possible. I also take them as fast as possible to get them over with. I do not like stairs, and I think it is less tiring and less painful to just get through it as quickly as I can. I notice that my husband does not do this and I end up looking silly, but there you go.

5. Putting on my coat. Since I was very little, I have had an odd way of putting on my coat when someone holds it out in front of my. I cross my arms and put them in, then basically flip the coat around over my head to get it on. My mother couldn't figure out how or why I would do this. I had no explanation since I was too young to understand myself.

6. Happy endings. I love happy endings. I prefer to read only books that have them. I also prefer movies that have them. I wish life only had them. (Books and movies are more cooperative than life.) It's why I love Jane Austen (books and the movies made from her books). And along those lines, I hate to be scared. Give me happy. Just happy. Must be why I love Andrew. He keeps me happy with that great, big smile!!!

There you go--none of those were quirky, were they?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I knew all of those quirks!!! I just love them and you...MPS