Monday, March 31, 2008

Mom's Ten Things

Okay, Bethany who tagged me. Here's the ten things I came up with that most people probably don't know about me. (Took me all day to come up with them.)
1. I never had stitches until I was almost 16 and walked into the glass door at Aunt Barbara's house. Then I did it big time -- 11 on my knee, 4 on my wrist, and about 60 on the outside of my arm and innumerable inside.
2. When I was a little girl (by age 6 probably) I had to learn to bait my own hook and clean my own fish. I think Jim cut off the heads, though, as I remember it. We always used live worms for bait.
3. I have voted (more than once) for candidates that I knew would lose just so I could do my patriotic duty but when I didn't really like any of the frontrunners (or the losers, either, for that matter). In the most recent primary election, for example, I voted for a candidate who had already dropped out.
4. I love raw onions. I love them plain or piled on burgers or hot dogs or a few other things. Don't love what they do to my breath, however. I hate green beans more than words can describe.
5. I don't startle very easily normally, but I do if I'm asleep. My children hate to have to wake me up because of it. They have tried every method of waking me so I won't jump, but it doesn't matter. They usually choose to stay a safe distance away so it won't scare them so badly.
6. I always wanted to marry a farmer. As I got older, I found out this might not be an easy way of life. Turns out I married a city boy who likes to garden. Close enough.
7. In high school, I was very good at serving the volleyball, but not so good at the rest of the game. And my best talent in basketball was stealing the ball because I was so little I could sneak around between the other players and grab the ball.
8. I didn't meet my only cousins on my mother's side until I was 7 years old. Later they became my favorite relatives.
9. I was born in Washington, D.C., but have never been back there since we moved away when I was two years old.
10. I love being a mom most of all. Except on those days when I've been heard to say "I don't want to be the mom." (But those are fleeting moments.)
Now I tag Dad?

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Those are fun! I didn't know the farmer one. Drew didn't know any of them :)

Katrina said...

Wow! I like these stories. Guess I know where I got my good Volleyball serve from!